Friday, January 31, 2014

THE FOREST FAIRIES AND A FREEZING LITTLE GIRL

A little girl selling matches
The fairy sisters floated down until they were hovering near the little girl sitting in the snow with her doll.  The child had no coat and was huddled in a corner, lighting matches to keep warm.  In the golden light of the match were wondrous visions seen by the little girl and the fairies.

"I fear she will freeze to death in the snow," said Annalisa.  "She is not dressed warmly and she's barefoot!"

"WE are not dressed warmly either and I would give anything to be home sitting by the fire," said Arabella, mournfully.  "Lapland? What were thinking?"

"Come, Arabella, let us help this freezing child tonight and worry about Gerda in Lapland tomorrow."  The fairies flew down and stood in front of the shivering child whose eyes lit up when she saw them for she thought the fairy sisters were another beautiful vision.  Then her match flickered out and the tiny girls were still there!

"Are you real?" said the child, a bit fearfully.  "You are very small."

"Of course, we are real.  I am Annalisa and this is my twin sister, Arabella.
We are fairies who possess magic powers and we want to help you.  Stand up; we want to see how big a coat to make."

The little girl had never met any fairies, but they seemed kind so she stood and faced them, clutching her worn doll.

"Why are you out in the snow without your coat and shoes?" asked Arabella.  "Won't   your parents be worried?"                       
                        


The little girl talks to the fairies

"I have no parents; they died long ago.  And my dear grandmother died last year.  I loved her so much!  She made this little doll for me.  I only have my grandfather now and he hardly talks to me since Grandma left us.  It is so cold in the little room where we live.  And I am always so hungry!  And no one buys my matches. . ."  She began to cry.

"Oh, do not cry little match girl!  We will help you tonight.  We promise!" cried Annalisa.  "What is your name?"

"Annie," said the child, softly.  "My name is Annie."

No comments:

Post a Comment

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.