Wednesday, January 14, 2015

THE COMING OF THE PLAGUE

The Home of the Seven Tiny Men
 Two years had passed in the enchanted forest and all was well in the family of the Fairy King and Queen.  Annalisa and Arabella were now twelve years old and their beloved baby brother, Arthur, had just turned two.  He was surely the brightest, most beautiful little boy in the world and his sisters doted on him.  But they still found time to visit their friend, Snow White, who was living in the guest cottage of the seven little men who had befriended her. 

The Disguised Snow White

The Huntsman visited often bringing news of the Palace.  The King had never recovered from the supposed death of his daughter and spent much of his time visiting other kingdoms.  He had lost interest in his queen who was slowly, but inexorably losing her fabled beauty.  She seldom consulted her mirror these days because its message was always the same--there were many young women fairer than she in the kingdom including a radiant beauty with long red hair who lived in the forest far away from the royal castle.  One fine spring day as the Huntsman rode his horse through the freshly green trees, he saw Snow White's tiny cottage up ahead and his heart was heavy as he thought of the sad news he brought her.
Snow White's cottage in the woods

Snow White ran out to greet him with a smile.  She was a young woman now and lovelier than ever.

"Geoffrey," (for that was the Huntsman's name) "I am so happy to see you!"   Then she looked into his eyes and knew something was very wrong.  "What has happened, my friend?"

"My Lady, a terrible plague has invaded the kingdom.  People sicken and die within days.  Our doctors are mystified as to its cause and they can find no cure.  Many at the palace have fallen ill, including your father.  I fear the King is dying."

Snow White stood, stunned by this news.  "Please take me to my father now.  I must see him before he dies.  I must.  I will leave a letter for my friends."

"Princess, you cannot return to the palace--the Queen still lives and there is the threat of contagion.  What if you became ill?"

"You will either take me to my father or lend me your horse for I am going."  Snow White ran to her cottage and returned with her cloak and a note for her friends which she left by the door.  "Are you coming with me, Geoffrey?"

"Are you mad, your Grace?  Do you think I would allow you to return to the castle alone?"

The Huntsman helped Snow White onto his horse, then mounted behind her.  Together they rode into the twilight gloom of the forest.

As night fell the seven little men could be heard singing as they returned home to eat their dinner, not knowing that their much loved Snow White was gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.