Tuesday, July 14, 2015

LEAVING THE BOARDWALK


I was determined to take Jim home to Florida as soon as possible, but Fate intervened as it so often does.  I hadn't been feeling well and I had a pain in my side, especially when I ran.  One night soon after our trip to the park with Jim, I felt so bad that Joy called an ambulance to take me to the hospital.  The ambulance guys were pretty casual about it all and rushed to the nearest hospital at a speed approaching 45 m.p.h.  None of the doctors in the ER looked like George Clooney, but they did seem quite cheerful.

"Well, little lady, I don't think it's your appendix.  What do you think,Manny?"

"Nah, it's not her appendix.  Does it hurt when you pee, Sweetheart?  You know like burn?

"Yes, but there's this pain..."  The doctors were giving each other A Look.

"Are you sexually active, Miss?  Got a boyfriend?"  Manny looked quite severe.

"No!" I said, shocked.  "I'm not having sex."

"Good, don't have any until you're married."

"What about this pain?  What could be causing this sharp pain?  I'm worried."

"I'm going to give you a prescription, Honey.  I think you just have a little bladder infection.  You agree, Manny?

"Oh, yeah, what else could it be?" said the ever scientific Manny, who began to chuckle. "Now don't get scared, but this stuff makes you pee orange."  Both doctors, if that's what they were, began to laugh heartily at this witty remark.  I however was not amused.  And I still had this pain....

My kidneys were full of stones and serious surgery was in my near future.  But I knew none of this until later.  I appeared at my mother's apartment and said I was taking Jim back to Florida.  She started to protest, but then said nothing.  We packed his few things and went to the bus station where we began the trip from Hell. And I peed orange all the way to Sarasota.

1 comment:

  1. Your word pictures create a real feeling of what it was like. It's a real gift. Also a difficult subject to write.

    ReplyDelete

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.