Monday, September 26, 2016

SAILING AWAY ON GRACE LINE


Grace Line

Paul and I set off on our week-long honeymoon cruise.  We would visit Curacao, Aruba, Haiti, St. Thomas and Caracas, Venezuela.  I had never been to any of these exotic locations and I was pumped! Paul loved the sea and was always happiest when aboard ship. I didn't feel quite well, but tried to ignore it.  However, by the third day I had familiar symptoms and we visited the ship's doctor.

"Well, it certainly sounds as if you have more kidney stones and since we are at sea, there is nothing I can really do," the doctor said, sympathetically. "You will probably need more surgery as soon as you get home." 

Discouraged, Paul and I trudged back to our room.  How would we pay for more surgery?  I had given up my job (and insurance) and Paul had no insurance at the Players.  We both tried to be cheerful but a pall had settled over our honeymoon. Because of feeling ill, I had missed seeing Aruba and Curacao. 


We ate a delicious dinner in the elaborate dining room; we tried to laugh and joke but our stories fell flat.  After dinner we walked on deck and looked at the stars.  I suddenly thought of Paul's mother, Mabel, and her last words to me in private.

"Now, Linda," she said, "Paul's dad and I have been married many many years and during all that time we have never seen each other naked.  I hope that you and Paul can follow this tradition."  I had no words.

But now I repeated Mabel's sage words of advice to my new husband.  He looked at me in the moonlight and said, "I think the ship has already sailed on that one."

We both began to laugh and couldn't stop.

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.