Thursday, October 27, 2016

KIDNEY STONES AND TUMORS, OH, MY!



I came out of the urologist's examining room wondering when I'd have to go to Shands in Gainesville, where they were doing research on recurring kidney stones.  Paul and my father were sitting in Dr. Giordano's office looking profoundly serious.

"I've already made arrangements for you to be admitted to Shands tomorrow for various tests and of course more surgery.  There's no escaping that.  Hopefully, they will find what's causing you to rapidly produce kidney stones, fix it, and you'll be fine!"  Dr. G smiled reassuringly.  Dad and Paul attempted to smile.
I felt scared.

By the next afternoon I was sitting on my hospital bed at Shands, dressed in a huge hospital gown, saying Goodbye to Paul.  He was to direct The King and I in Monroe, Louisiana.

He looked very sad.  Jumping into my usual role of Court Jester, I said, "I'll be there in about two weeks at the most.  The King and I is a wonderful musical.  You'll have so much fun and so will I when I get there!"

"All those little kids and hoop skirts.  The King of Siam!"

"Topsy and Little Eva and the Small House of Uncle Thomas," I cried.

We hugged and Paul was gone.  I knew he would light a cigarette as soon as he was outside.  I sat on the bed and wondered what to do with myself.

Many years later I learned that Dr. Giordano had told Paul and Dad that it was imperative that the doctors at Shands discover  what was causing me to rapidly produce so many kidney stones.  If they did not,
I would not live very long.  Blithely unaware of this prediction, I looked ahead to the future.

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.