Thursday, February 23, 2017

A NEW BEGINNING - Part 2



The next half hour went by very fast.  I was rushed to the delivery room and given something to wear on my wrist.  If the pain got bad, I was to breathe in some gas. Unfortunately, as soon as I went out my arm would drop and the pain was still there!  Dr. Scott came rushing in still wearing his golf clothes beneath his gown and got to work.  I was asked if I wanted a mirror placed in front of the birth canal.  Being squeamish I really didn't want to know just what was happening, so I declined while screaming.  A few minutes passed during which I was not brave.....and then Jeanne Kathryn Bressoud arrived.  I was overjoyed.  I was allowed to see her for about a nanosecond before she was whisked away (things were very different then). At some point I was given something to stop my milk from coming in and I don't recall giving my permission.  It was just assumed new mothers would NOT nurse and we were given lots of formula upon leaving the hospital.  Mother/baby bonding apparently had no importance in those days as I did not see Jeanne for hours.  I was whisked out of the delivery room and left in the hall as it had all happened so fast there was no room ready.

I saw Paul coming down the hall looking cheerful.  He began telling me a funny story about something that happened at dinner. Finally, I interrupted with "Are you excited?"  He looked confused.  "About the baby being a girl?" "What?" I began to wonder about his mental health and then I realized that he didn't know.

"Jeanne has been born, Paul, while you were gone!  Didn't anyone call you?"

A huge grin lit up his face.  "The baby is a girl?  She's here?"

"Yes, she's here.  It happened very fast. They don't even have a room ready for me. I'm so happy! Isn't it wonderful?"

"Yes!!"  Paul actually jumped into the air.  I could not believe my eyes.  We both started laughing and acting like fools.

              TO BE CONTINUED














No comments:

Post a Comment

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.