Tuesday, July 22, 2014

ALL IS WELL IN THE FAIRY KINGDOM!

With the Fairy King leading the way, Hansel and Gretel journeyed through the forest toward their home.  The fairy sisters (who were quite taken with Hansel) flew about his shoulders, chattering happily while Gretel ate a cranberry-orange muffin she had hidden in her apron.   The King was feeling strong and purposeful, feelings he had not experienced for some years.  Suddenly, the King cried out, "Hansel, Gretel, there is your home!

Joyfully, the brother and sister ran toward the house.

"And there is Father!" said Hansel.

"He has been waiting for you all this time," said the wise King.

The fairy twins watched the happy reunion.  Then the mother of the children appeared and tried to smile, but she could not.


Once inside their simple home the mother spoke bitterly to the Fairy King.  "How shall I feed these children?  Their father and I are starving.  We have no food to give them!"

The King spoke in a low voice to the children's mother.  "I am the King of the Forest Fairies.  I shall send food to you every week; you shall not starve.  And if you ever send your children into the forest again where they would surely die, I shall return.  You do not want that!"

The mother began to cry, "No, I shall never....Thank you for bringing them home!  I shall never forgive myself." And she ran to her children and embraced them.
                                    *  *  *  *  *  *  *
As the fairies approached their home they could see their mother perched high in a tree so she could see them coming.  When she glimpsed them, the Queen smiled and flew to her family.

"All is well, my love," said the King clasping her in his arms.

"Oh, well, that is wonderful, my darling," said the Queen, dimpling.  "I have set out a simple supper beneath the trees, but I have forgotten the wine.  Could you fetch it?"

"Of course, Sweetheart," said the King and kissed her.

The twins were saucer-eyed and speechless.  What had come over their father?  They had not seen him like this.

"I slipped a......tonic of sorts into your father's raspberry wine at lunch......to give him more.....energy.  And it seems to have worked," said Mother, smiling to herself.

Father appeared at the door holding a jug of raspberry wine and smiling broadly.  "I feel rather tired and I think I shall go to bed early tonight. Will you join me, my love?"

"Why, yes, my darling," said she and ran to join him.

"But the sun has barely set!" said Arabella.

"And you haven't eaten your dinner!" cried Annalisa.

"Why don't you girls fix yourselves a plate and go down to our garden and eat there," said Father, firmly shutting the huge oak door.

"Father doesn't seem tired, does he?" said Annalisa, piling food on her plate.

"No, not at all," said Arabella.  "Oh, listen, Mother is laughing; Father must have told a joke.  I never knew he was funny."  And they strolled down the path to their garden which would be magical in the moonlight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.