Thursday, September 11, 2014

SNOW WHITE IS SENT INTO THE FOREST

"I shall consult my mirror one more time before I send for the
Huntsman," said the Queen, looking at her ravishing face in the glass.  "Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the most beautiful of all?  And I don't want to hear the name of that silly girl!"

The mirror looked with pity at the Queen and then said,
"Although I sympathize with your plight,
the very fairest is still Snow White."

Enraged, the Queen called for her serving maid.  "Girl, fetch the Huntsman; he is waiting in the outer room."

The maid feared her royal mistress and left the room with speed.  Almost immediately the Huntsman appeared.

"Huntsman, I have an important commission you must carry out for me this very night.  Wait until the Princess is asleep; then carry her into the forest and shoot an arrow into her heart.  Then bring her heart to me as proof she is dead."

"But Your Majesty, what has Snow White done?  She is  known throughout the land for her goodness and beauty."

"I don't want to hear it, you wretched man," she screamed.  "Do as I command now or.......I shall kill you where you stand."

The Huntsman staggered and almost fell.  He knew the Queen  was wicked, but surely she was now mad as well.  He could barely speak he was so shocked.  

"Yes, Your Grace, I shall do as I am ordered."  He could not look upon the Queen and he swiftly left the room.

When the moon was high in the night sky, the Huntsman entered Snow White's chamber and lifted her into his arms.  Her eyes were wide with terror, but he told her not to scream, that all would be well.  The Huntsman carried her outside and gently placed the girl on his horse.  Together they rode into the forest, but Snow White said not a word.  When they had ridden far enough, the Huntsman jumped down from his horse and then held out his arms for the princess.

"Your Grace, you must journey deep into the forest and never return to the palace unless you hear the Queen is dead.  I have brought food with me which will last you a few days.  You must find shelter tomorrow and remain hidden.  You must not return home; do you understand?  Your life is in danger."

"I will save myself, Sir.  I promise I will not return home.  You are a kind and gentle man, Huntsman.  I shall not forget you."

"Nor will I forget you, my Lady.  Take my cloak so you won't be cold tonight."  He went down on one knee and looked into her face.  "You will be Queen one day, Princess.  Now run!"


The Huntsman leaped upon his horse and rode away.  He would shoot a rabbit and take its heart to the Queen.  Then when she had paid him, he would take his wife and son and they would move far, far away and remain there until Snow White was Queen.

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.