Sunday, September 7, 2014

THE WORLD INTRUDES ON THAT GOLDEN SUMMER


"If the Boss sees you flirting with them black boys, you girls will get fired!  He don't like that kind of thing.  It ain't right and that's all there is to it," said Dora Lee, a raw-boned middle-aged woman with red hair and strange teeth.  The only waitress not a college girl, Dora Lee felt her calling was to instruct us not only in the fine art of waiting tables, but also in Life.

"Oh, we're not flirting with the busboys, Dora Lee," said Liz.  "We're just teasing them and being friendly.  They help us a lot."

"I can't carry those trays; they're too heavy," I said.  "I have weak wrists."

Dora Lee looked at me like I was weak-minded too.  "All I'm saying is if you girls want to keep working here, you better stop messing with the busboys.  This is Georgia, not New York City and the boss will not approve."  And Dora Lee shot a mean look at Lisa, the waitress who came from New York City.

Lisa stepped forward and stated her position with a cool sophistication we all envied.  "What I don't approve of is the fact that Larry, our White cook, makes $125 a week while Annie Mae, our Black cook who works beside Larry only earns $40 a week for the same work.  And what I also find totally inappropriate is that the "Boss" kisses his beautiful daughter on the mouth every day.  I mean, it borders on the incestuous."

Dora Lee's face turned a deep,unflattering shade of  pink and all her freckles stood out.  None of us girls said a word; we were scared.

"You got no business knowing what anybody makes who works here.  And the Boss can do whatever he wants because he's the boss.  What you said about him and his daughter is just nasty, you Yankee bitch.  You make me sick!  I need a cigarette."  And with that Dora Lee walked out the door.

"A very good example of poor white trash," said Lisa calmly.  "And I need a cigarette too; I really do."  She looked at us all standing there with wide eyes and open mouths.  "Girls, the world is changing out there.  All you little Southern belles need to catch up."

"I was born in New York City," I blurted out, not knowing why.

Lisa surveyed me with her cool gaze.  "Well, it doesn't show."

Lisa walked out of our lives and we never saw her again.  She was fired for dating a black man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.