Monday, February 2, 2015

A VISIT FROM THE DYING QUEEN

Snow White stood looking out the window of her father's room. She would regret for the rest of her life the two years they had missed being together. She should have tried to see him, but she had been afraid of the Queen.

A hoarse voice broke the deathly quiet of the morning. The Queen had entered the room.

"I came to see my husband.  Huntsman, why are 
you here and who is that woman?" said the Queen, looking haggard and dull-eyed.

"Your Majesty," said the Huntsman, quickly kneeling on one knee. "I fear I have terrible news.  Your husband, the King, is dead of the plague." The Queen looked stunned; the King was her only protection.  "This woman is my niece Belinda.  She has knowledge of healing herbs and hoped to save the King, but we were too late.  I am very sorry, my Queen."

"I am alone then," she said, dully.  "My ladies in waiting have all died. I don't know what to do."  The Queen sat heavily on the chair near her husband. "I loved him you know, but he loved only my beauty.  Well, that's long gone." She laughed bitterly, then drew herself up.  "Huntsman, take your niece and leave.  I have a royal funeral to plan."

Snow White crossed rapidly to the Huntsman and together they left the room.  But at the door Snow White turned and spoke.  "Madame, you look ill. You should go to your bed and I will send a servant to look after you."

"You are right; I don't feel well, but I shall stay a little longer with my husband."

                     

The Huntsman took Snow White's hand and they
raced down the stairs and through the empty passages.  They saw no one, the palace was empty.

"There is no one left to send to the Queen," said Snow White.

"She will die alone,"
said the Huntsman.

Snow White and the Huntsman mounted his horse and rode toward the woods and home.  Soon Snow White would be Queen, but she had not allowed herself to know it yet.
                     

      






No comments:

Post a Comment

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.