Monday, August 26, 2013

GOODBYE, MAHOGANY TABLE

houzz.com via Pinterest

nicety.livejournal.com via Pinterest





















This is the bedroom and the kitchen I would like to have had as a child, but our actual decor was different.
I am sure that some of the furniture in the Fifties was lovely, but we didn't have any of that kind.   We had one beautiful antique table of polished, mellow mahogany which I treasured.  Where we had gotten this lovely piece, I cannot imagine for surely it was created in Furniture Heaven.  We had brought this exquisite table all the way from New York to grace our living room and I admired its beauty daily.

Then, on one never-to-be-forgotten afternoon when I came home from school, I discovered that my mother had painted the mahogany table a glossy black and adorned it with two Chinese figurines in black and a very brilliant chartreuse.  I was speechless.  Mom was beaming with pride and said, "Isn't it beautiful?"  A silence fell and then I said the only thing I could say, "Yes, it's really lovely, Mom."  And I fled to my room to hide the hot tears I didn't understand.

I still hate chartreuse.










No comments:

Post a Comment

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.