Sunday, September 29, 2013

ELVIS COMES TO TOWN!!!





ELVIS PRESLEY AT THE FLORIDA
                      THEATER
A very young Elvis Presley came to the Florida Theater in Sarasota when I was in the eighth grade.  He was just starting his career and had not yet become the greatest star on the planet. Since I was unsophisticated and never trendy, Elvis had barely registered on my consciousness. Not so for my friend Rosie and a few other "with it" young girls--they got tickets immediately. After the concert they walked up to Badgers Drugstore on Five Points, talking excitedly about Elvis all the way.  The girls were enraptured as well they might be.

When they arrived at Badgers, there was Elvis having a Coke.  Barriers had been put up around the soon-to-be superstar.  Rosie's mouth dropped open as she gazed upon her idol in the flesh.  Now Rosie had strawberry blonde hair and the face of an angel and for an eighth grader, she was remarkably well-developed.  None of these facts escaped the young, virile Elvis who flashed Rosie his dazzling smile and beckoned her over.  Even Rosie herself no longer remembers their brief conversation, but she does recall that Elvis kissed her.  Really kissed her.  I would have been shocked at anything less.  I wish it had been me.

2 comments:

  1. One of the biggest regrets of my young (then) life: that I missed that show! Kenny never fails to remind me that he and his friends who were watching the opening act had no idea who the sideburned guy was, sitting behind them in the theatre, until he walked up on stage and began to sing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ex-husband always said he saw Elvis at the Florida Theater. For a long time, I didn't believe him. Now I know it's true.

    ReplyDelete

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.