Monday, September 23, 2013

THE SIREN CALL OF THE THEATRE, Part II

Nellie Forbush and Ngana de Becque
 Playing that small role in South Pacific was the most fun I had ever had!  Richard, the little boy who played my brother, and I worked with the musical director and the choreographer and a lady who spoke perfect French.  Rehearsals flew by and suddenly it was Dress Rehearsal.  Since I had pale Irish skin, everything that showed was covered in golden brown makeup.  I wore a sarong, but I was no Dorothy Lamour.  The costume lady put it most succinctly.  "You've got nothing to hold it up."  I hung my head in shame.  But the director, who was passing by, said, "She's a little girl.  She's not supposed to have breasts."  Relieved, I raised my head and saw someone I didn't recognize in the mirror--someone exotic and very tan.  Someone with huge made up brown eyes and flowers in her hair. Someone who sang, danced and spoke French.  I was........not me.

Years later The Players revived South Pacific and I was in the opening night audience.  The curtain opened and there onstage were two children singing "Dites-moi" and doing a little dance together.  And I suddenly realized that it had never mattered that we didn't sing or dance very well or speak perfect French.  We were there to set the scene, to make a charming introduction to an enchanted evening of theatre magic that would stay forever fresh.  Unexpected tears came to my eyes.

1 comment:

This new blogger welcomes comments and thanks you in advance.